Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Week 3 Assignment David vs Goliath

Anthony Semler
Week 3 Assignment
My Tube User Generated Media
William Anthony Semler
David vs. Goliath
6/9/09


For you to understand where it is I come from when discussing the Narrative of David’s vs. Goliath’s, I feel it necessary to give my personal understanding. Even though this story originates in the Bible (1 Samuel 17), I don’t view it in a biblical sense, but more from an athletic point of view. Being someone that has grown up playing every sport, and many times have been both the David and the Goliath, I can relate to the feelings each possess at that particular time.
There were times when I was the Goliath, and had this “I can conquer the world!” feeling, where I had no reason to fear losing. And that’s exactly what happens, a loss to David! With losing being the most gut-wrenching experience in sports, imagine being the David. It’s funny how it’s the complete opposite feeling when you’re the David. You go into a situation having no reason being on the same field as your opponent, but guess what your there! At that moment you tell yourself, “I have nothing to lose!” and you go out and do the impossible, you defeat the Goliath. A feeling of adrenaline rushes over you and you enjoy that moment like no other with your teammates and coaches.
When I think of David vs. Goliath and user generated media, I can see arguments from a couple of different views. Just like me being on both sides of the spectrum regarding David vs. Goliath, user generated experiences the same thing. Let’s look at user-generated media being the David. Years ago when user generated media came onto the scene, society jumped on board and started adapting to the new technologies that were coming out. The answer is no, and even today there are those that do all in their power to not use the new technologies that control everything we do. Don’t get me wrong these people I’m talking about are the last of the Baby Boomers, and whatever is left from before then, but they are still here denying the fact that new technologies exist. So in a way user generated media is a David defeating the Goliath (mankind) because those that said it would never happen were wrong and it has happened and then some.
Let’s look at user-generated media being the Goliath. That feeling I told you about, this “I can conquer the world feeling!” user generated media certainly has felt that way for quite some time now. If being user generated media and the Goliath, it would be about impossible at this point there will ever be a David come and take you out. I guess what I am saying, and what it seems, as we are supposed to figure out is that user generated media is here and it’s not going anywhere. It seems as if you are trying to get us to realize that we are in a user generated media world, and it is going to continue to be the case forever. I will be honest, I am not very savvy at all on most of our new technologies and this one is growing on me in a good way. I like seeing these applications in my day-to-day life!

No comments:

Post a Comment